Strengthening Sustainable Biorisk Management in Africa
Sponsors: International Federation of Biosafety Associations and Global Affairs Canada
Date: Wednesday, 12 December 2018
No invitations necessary; open to all conference registrants
Laboratory technicians and scientists, laboratory managers, biosafety officers, policy makers
This workshop will present strategies for strengthening biorisk management across laboratories in the African region. The workshop will be led by biorisk management professionals from the International Federation of Biosafety Association’s (IFBA) member Biosafety Associations in Mali, Nigeria, Cameroon and Ivory Coast who will share lessons learnt, discuss challenges and highlight opportunities to build sustainable laboratory biosafety and biosecurity capacity.
Participants will learn about strategies related to developing national biosafety and biosecurity policy frameworks and legislation, advancing sustainable biorisk management practices & procedures, and the certification of competency in biological risk management professionals. Participants will also discuss opportunities for partnerships across multiple institutions, organizations and countries which can help to propel and sustain biosafety and biosecurity across the West-African region.
The IFBA is collaborating with the African Society for Laboratory Medicine to enhance multi-sectoral collaboration and foster partnerships between its members, government ministries, and other stakeholders in the development and implementation of comprehensive national biosafety/biosecurity strategies. This includes the implementation of the Global Health Security Agenda’s Action Package 3, International Health Regulations, UN Security Council Resolution 1540, Biological Weapons Convention, and other health security initiatives.
SESSION LEARNING OBJECTIVES:
- Discover sustainable approaches for building biorisk management capacity in
laboratories handling infectious materials
- Understand how to develop and implement national biosafety strategies and
- Learn about IFBA’s professional certification program in biorisk management
- Build partnerships and network with biosafety professionals in the African region
- Djibril Sangaré, President, Association Malienne pour la biosécurité et la biosûreté
- Ibiang Livinus, President, Nigerian Biological Safety Association
- Pierrette Mefomdjo, President, Cameroon Biological Safety Association
- Touré Mahama, President, Association de biosécurité en Cote D’Ivoire