Role of laboratory systems: lessons learnt and perspectives
Sponsors: Fondation Mérieux
Date: Monday, 10 December 2018
No invitations necessary; open to all conference registrants
- Government officials / Policy Makers
- Funders and donors
- Implementing partners
- Laboratory Community
Last outbreaks highlighted the need for diagnostics and the role of laboratory systems. The growing problem of AMR, and especially in the field of HIV and TB, also stress the need for quality laboratories and a performing organisation of the system.
The complexity of technologies and the increase of associated costs are also major constraints in this field. In this context, several approaches and initiatives to strengthen laboratory systems, taken especially in West Africa, will be presented and discussed.
During this seminar, experiences will be shared about the vision of laboratory systems with speakers coming from West Africa and Madagascar, allowing for an improved understanding of the current situation, key challenges and opportunities.
SESSION LEARNING OBJECTIVES:
During this seminar, experiences will be shared about the vision of laboratory systems with speakers coming from West Africa and Madagascar, allowing for an improved understanding of the current situation, key challenges and opportunities..
- Role of laboratory systems in health systems: lesson learned and perspectives
Welcome: Dr. François-Xavier Babin, Director Diagnostic & Health Systems, Mérieux Foundation
- Role of laboratories in outbreak alert and detection
Dr. Ignatius Baldeh, Director National Public Health Laboratory, Gambia
- Importance of the laboratory in the different levels of the health pyramid in the context of the WHO list of essential diagnostics
Dr. Aicha-Marceline Sarr, Mérieux Foundation, Sénégal
- Role of laboratory governance and issues faced by laboratory directorates
Prof. Mandiou Diakité, Deputy Director, Laboratory Directorate, Ministry of Health Guinea
- Role of the laboratory in HIV monitoring; difficulties, challenges, feedback from the field Dr. Abdelaye Keita, National Institute of Public Health Research, Mali
- Example of a Laboratory network in Madagascar: RESAMAD
Dr. Saida Rasoanandrasana, Befelatanna Hospital, Ministry of Health, Madagascar
- Role of the laboratory in AMR: perspectives from West Africa
Prof. Abdoul-Salam Ouedraogo, Head of Bacteriology-Virology lab, Teaching Hospital Souro Sanou, Burkina Faso
- Role of the laboratory in noncommunicable diseases Prof. Jean Sakandé, Mérieux Foundation